Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On a Scale of 1-10, it's an 11!

Welcome to the NEW YEAR my friends!

I hope you're holidays ended well and that you got plenty of rest and recovery before hittin' the new year strong. I am so excited about this year already! My brother thinks I'm nuts I think because I told him I was happy I get to write _/_/11 now instead of _/_/10... I never liked writing zeros. Plus, on a scale of 1-10: this year's gonna be an eleven babay! Haha.
Leeza and I at the Pony Bar on New Year's Eve

First time ever partying with my brother haha

Leeza gettin' her groove on!

To challenge and improve myself for next 365 days, I have several goals and improvements I plan on implementing this year.

Because I believe the best time to start is always NOW not later, I actually started early. At the beginning of December I vowed to myself that I'd start the new year being "happy with my body, and having a good spiritual relationship with God." And I did! I felt so empowered going into the new year being good to my body and my soul. Since I took life by the horns early, I didn't have a lot to change come January 1st, but I'll always take an opportunity to become re-inspired, re-motivated and to clarify my goals and aspirations.

Soooo... here's some of my goals, and the things that will be motivating and inspiring me to reach them this year:

(1) Continue to exercise regularly, but add new challenges.
I've always loved being active, but this year I want to increasingly integrate fitness and health into every aspect of my life.
My fitness inspiration board

One specific goal of mine is to enter an athletic competition this year, specifically a Figure competition or complete a Marine obstacle course. I always loved sports in high school and haven't gotten to "win" at anything for a while so I find this really motivating.


I'm inspired by Jamie Eason, and find her story incredible. 

About Jamie Eason from her personal web-site:
"After college I held a few jobs in Human Resources and in Marketing, but it wasn’t until after I went to work for my grandfather at his roofing company that I knew I didn’t want to spend my lifetime confined to a desk ... a friend convinced me to attend cheerleader tryouts for the NFL team, the Houston Texans. I was not feeling particularly confident competing with more than 1600 beautiful girls, but after a few days of rigorous tryouts and interviews, I made the team! It was a fantastic experience. By day I was standing on a roof; by night I was on a football field.
Unfortunately my stint as an NFL cheerleader ended prematurely. I found a suspicious lump in my breast which had characteristics of early stage cancer. Soon after, I had the neoplasm removed which took me out of the limelight and put me back behind a desk. ... I longed for that toned athletic look but had no clue how to truly obtain it. It was not until I hired a personal trainer and visited a nutritionist that I ventured down my current path. They taught me the importance of exercise diversity and clean eating. Within a few disciplined months, my body began to transform. I felt amazing! I felt physically fit and emotionally, I had a true sense of accomplishment and well being.

My favorite part:
After my first competition, and coincidentally, my first win, I realized I had found a path for my life. I decided I wanted to be an inspiration to others, just as those figure, fitness, and bodybuilding athletes had been to me.
This is your life. If you are not who you want to be, change it! It won’t be easy and it may take some time, but surround yourself with people who love and support you and go for it! No regrets! Only you dwell on your failures. Good luck and remember the inner strength you’ll achieve from adopting a healthy lifestyle far supersedes anything physical."

I just renewed my subscription to Oxygen magazine, and I use SparkPeople to track my exercise and nutrition progress. I was skeptical at first to use a "food journal" per say, but my sister Sarah, who has a degree in Nutrition, convinced me to use it to make sure I reach my the correct amount of protein, healthy fats, and carbs (mostly from vegetables and high fiber bread, cereals). It's been working great so far! I've realize I really have to consciously include protein in every meal to meet my recommended 1-0.7 grams per pound of body mass. This makes me think that alot of other women aren't getting enough protein in their diet either. Check out the SparkPeople website to learn how to increase your daily intake.
I really like SparkPeople's tag line to "make your life an adventure." (because it's not gonna be one if you sit back and just let life "happen to you!")

And of course, you know I love Zuzana and the community @ BodyRock to kick my butt into shape :)

That's all for now, next time I'll share another aspect of my life I plan on making "improvements" in. I'll talk to you guys later, have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment