Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Internship Advice

~Good morining! Happy Tuesday :)
Here's a few good questions and answers from "Interships.com"

I highly recommend this site! I learned alot before I ever came out on my internship- saving me from making rookie mistakes. Also, having this resource while I'm here has helped me tremendously. A summer internship can fly by and be over before you know it, mine will be over on August 13th- only a week and some change left! To get the most out of my time:
  1. I've made sure to meet short-term project secific goals (For me this was completing editing on a picture set, and sending off the report for review)
  2. Set long-term goals for returning to PSNS next summer (what projects to return to, classes to take, and here: what ship's systems/engineering sections I'm interested in working with in the future)
  3. Talked with my boss, the internship advisor, and my fellow interns about future opportunities. It's important to give yourself an open door for coming back, you never want to leave without creating opportunities for advancement!
  4. Thank those who've helped you. This is simple: Show gratitude! I cannot tell you how far a simple note, or thoughtful token (perhaps a school t-shirt, pen, sticker, ect) will go. Cliche but true: It's the thought that counts.

If this advice doesn't apply to you specifically (you aren't on an internship), alot of the resources on Interships.com apply generally to ANY professional environment: your local workplace, interacting with teachers @ school, interviews for a (hopefully) future internship, ect. I hope you find it useful!

Have a great day, I'm off to the waterfront to check out a submarine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment