Monday, August 9, 2010

Can you DIG it?

As you well know, Montana Tech is pretty awesome. Oh wait I'm sorry, do you need convincing? You do go to school here don't you? At some point in your past you thought it was a good idea to come to Butte, hike up and down the hills of the "mile high city" in blowing snow, live in perilous danger of slipping and falling on the iced steps (yes, someone saw you), and get schooled on all that is Oredigger.


Maybe you aren't actually a student here. If not, you at least know someone who is (perhaps your truly), you work here (shout out to the profs! I'll see you in a week), or you're just bored enough to read some college kid's blog (in which case I'm worried about your social life. At least you aren't playing Farmville). However, this is all "Erroneous! Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts!" Allow me to let someone else do the talking, besides (my comments) of course. Hey, it is my blog. This is from a Montana Tech email, but shortened:


MONTANA TECH RECOGNIZED BY THE PRINCETON REVIEW


Butte, MT – Montana Tech is in The Princeton Review’s “The Best 373 Colleges" and one of “2011 Best Colleges: Region by Region.” Now on the 19th edition of the book, Montana Tech has been on the list 11 consecutive times. (Booyah! 11 out of 19 ain't bad) 
Montana Tech is a "BEST IN THE WEST” College (again according to the Princeton Review). The 120 colleges that The Princeton Review chose for its "Best in the West" list are located in fifteen states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. U of M is the only other Montana university listed. (This is the cool part-->) For this project, The Princeton Review asked students attending the schools to rate their schools on several issues--from the accessibility of their professors to quality of the campus food -- and answer questions about themselves, their fellow students, and their campus life. (So some Techie out there said they like it here, proving my point of Tech's awesomeness) However, The Princeton Review doesn't rank colleges, it just lists them. (which insults the competitive parts of me, I mean come on: If you aren't first you're last!)

Tech's true merit as an educational facility is not a measure of educational quality at all, but of the "coolness" of our mascot. I'm kidding of course, but again, the competitive side of me is glad to be on this list:


We came in at  #8:


I recommend reading the whole list, it's quite entertaining to see what crazy mascots some schools have. Who thought of these!? Poor, poor Southwestern College Moundbuilders. There's no recovering from that one.

Drum roll please! Number one goes to: EVERGREEN STATE GEODUCKS


Hmmm, wonder why. Actually this is weird for me because I was born in Olympia, WA. So two schools I'm associated are on this list. What a proud moment! :D Although,

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about our school's acclaim. I sure feel all warm and fuzzy... can't wait to go back... :/ Go Diggers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is Ed Wozniak, the guy who writes Balladeer's Blog and compiled this and other Top 2o Lists. Thanks for the plug! Did you say it was included in an official Montana Tech E-mail? They should have let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ed, you're welcome! Your list was not in an official Montana Tech email, just The Princeton Review ranking was. I didn't really make that clear. To my knowledge, I am the first one from Tech's inner circle to find your site. Very cool blog btw :)

    ReplyDelete