Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Time To Get Started

Heyo friends,

Well tomorrow is the BIG DAY for all of us making the great migration back to Montana Tech for college. I just made my list of which books I'll be needed to "invest in my future" by purchasing. It's this time of the semester that I am so thankful I work for PSNS, because they give me a book allowance every semester. It really takes off the $$ squeeze that most students experience this time of the year. If you want to get in on such a deal, I encourage you to get your butt to some interviews this semester and find a summer internship! I started this blog talking about mine, and in May, I will return to Bremerton, WA to continue as a "co-op" for PSNS. 

To finish of my list of how I plan on Improving my Life in 2011, I saved the best for last: #3 ...  
(1) Exercise Regularly, and Add New Challenges. (more on this topic)
(2) Have More Fun with my Style (more on this topic)
(3) Grow Spiritually and Let God Lead - this post!

Because I had a lot of changes this last year, I also had a lot of new and stress-inducing experiences. Including: my first internship, a long distance relationship, my hardest semester to date at Tech (still got a 4.0 though, woohoo), family moving away, new jobs - blogging and reffing; all on top of all the usual. Many times I found myself overwhelmed and stressed or anxious. Whenever I turned to temporary fixes to help relieve stress: food, tv, computer, multitasking, procrastination; it never left me satisfied. I just knew there had to be a better way. Honestly, I did turn to God many times too... but I guess I was just too blind to see what was working and what was just habit.

I've always been a Christian, but this year I'm going to make a conscious effort to be in "conversation" with God throughout my day. Hey, He's the only one who knows the path for my life so He's the best one to turn to. Every time. Did you ever think about who God really is? I was thinking about this last night, and I saw thinks in a much different light. He is the expert on:

  • Nutrition- what we should eat, and how to keep our bodies healthy are all the way they are because God designed us to work this way. The idea is simple: We all need to eat. Eat simply and only until you're satisfied. You may have heard the clean eating mantra: "Eat food. Not too much, mostly plants." by Michael Pollan. Nutritionists are just those who've discovered the ways to optimize God's design.
  • Academics- Everything we study in school, stems from Creation. All the laws of science, physics and the universe were written by Him.
  • Fitness and Exercise- He designed our bodies to be strong, efficient, and beautiful. He knows every muscle and curve because He designed it. Much like nutrition and nutrition experts: professional athletes, personal trainers, bodybuilders, ect are just the few people who've taken the time to optimize and perfect the creation God already had in place. By this thinking, anyone can improve their state of fitness.
  • Happiness- I put this one on the list because alot of people forget God promise us that He always has our best interests in mind, and that He gives the gift of joy to those who believe in Him. So to train myself to trust God more, and "Live for Eternal Bliss... one day at a time." I have developed a game plan. Because a goal without a plan is just a wish!
I will finally read through the whole Bible in a year. I am using the M'Cheyne One Year Reading Plan to do so. From the YouVersion website:

"This plan is based on the M’Cheyne reading system, featuring four different readings for use in both family and personal devotions. Each day has two passages from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament, and one from either the Psalms or the Gospels. In one year, you read the Old Testament once and the New Testament and Psalms twice."



My sister and I are both doing it, so I always know I am not alone in this. Knowing that someone is doing the same thing as me everyday helps me to not skip a day or quit. I've found out it takes me about 20-30min to read the 4 chapters assigned daily, so I either wake up that much earlier to do it, or do it right before bed.

To actually accomplish this goal, it's going to have to be convenient for me, so I downloaded the Bible app on my Android smart phone, and use either my phone, my ITouch's Bible app, or my good ol' hardcover Bible to read the assigned chapters. I like having a plan because it gives me a sense of accomplishment to check off the chapters I read every day!

Also, I can see my progress, which is a huge motivator. Today is Day 15 for me, and I am 3.8% done. That may seem like not much progress at first, but remember: in a year I'll have read the WHOLE BOOK! I know I will be proud of myself on December 27th (the day I finish) so I'm going to stick with it. This idea of making small everyday choices to affect a greater, positive, and lasting happiness and goal applies to our entire lives. I plan to discuss this more later because I found some really great and inspiring articles on the topic of Seizing the Day in a way that is positive for your future happiness.

That's all for now folks,
I'll see many of you tomorrow @ TECH... enjoy your last afternoon of break!

Ruthie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment